Friday, August 6, 2010

Hu-Wen

Here's a skit I composed about the governmental system in China, as mentioned a few posts down. 





Well, here we are in China. It's about time to start sight-seeing, but first, maybe you can educate me on China's government system. 


Sure thing, buddy.


What I want to know is, who's the President of China?


That's right.


What? I'm asking about the President.


Hu?


The President of China.


Hu.

The guy in charge.


Hu!


That's what I want to know!


I'm telling you, the man's name is Hu.


What's the man's name?


No, Hu's the man's name.

.... Who is the man's name?


That's right!


No, it's not. That's terrible grammar. You don't say "Who is the man's name", you say "What's the man's name". Now, what's the man's name?


It's Hu.


No, it's "what".


You think his name is what?


I don't know what his name is, that why I'm asking you!

Well, now, there's no need to get riled up like that. The President isn't the only important figure, you know. If you don't like his name, there are others.


Like who?


Yes, just like Hu.


What?


No, there's nobody like What. I don't even know where that came from.


Who's what?


No, he's not! That's what I'm trying to tell you!


Who's getting riled up now?


Is he? I wouldn't know.


Look, what were you saying about other people? There are other officials you can tell me about?


Yes. For instance, the Prime Minister?


What's his name?


Wen.


... What's his name right now?


Wen.


This very moment.


Wen!


Has he ever changed his name?


No.


So he's always had the same name?


Yes.


What is it?


Wen.

Right now!


Wen.


Who's the Prime Minister?!


No, he's the President!


What?


Hu.


Who?


Right!


What?


No!


What?


No!


What?!


I don't even know who What is, but Hu's the president and Wen's the Prime Minister.


When is the Prime Minister what?


He's never What! No one's What. He's when.


When what?


I don't know his given name, I'm afraid. Just the surname.


Which is... what?


I don't think you've learned anything here.


Look, never mind. I give up. You don't need to try to tell me about the government.


Well, alright. Maybe later we can talk about what's what.


I don't even know how this guy "What" showed up. What's he got to do with anything?


I don't know. You brought him up.


Did not... when?

What about him?


Who?


He's the President.


Who?


Now you've got it. You'll understand the Hu-Wen Administration yet!


The what?


The Hu-Wen Administration.


Well, if you don't know those basic concepts like who and when, it's no wonder we never got anywhere.

Tell you what; let's calm down over dinner. I want to try out my wok.


Your what?

My wok. It's a versatile round-bottomed cooking vessel. It's Chinese. 

So in this government it's a Hu-Wen wok?

Well... you could say that.

I don't think I will. Let's eat.

3 comments:

  1. "I don't know his given name, I'm afraid. Just the surname."

    ^ This guy would be shot, if he were Chinese. That's like not knowing who Mao Zedong was. o.0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes... Ol' Mao Zedong.

    On the bright side, he did know that Hu was his surname, even though it comes first. That's a big step.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, he's not that clueless. :)

    But "Wen" is pronounced more like 'Wuhn' than 'When', so I didn't get what he meant until I read it over again.

    ReplyDelete

OH BOY!! A MESSAGE!